So much more than an air freshener...
Essential oils are gaining worldwide recognition for their versatility, but their use is not new. The use of botanicals as healing agents is a long-standing practice throughout human history. In fact, essential oils and other botanicals have been used in wellness practices as early as at least 5,000 years ago.
Inside every plant, shrub, tree, or flower is the source of all its energy, life, and healing compounds – this life source is in the form of an oil. And essential oil can be 200 to 10,000 times stronger than it herbal counterpart. Therefore, you need very little to achieve a therapeutic dose.
There are a number of ways that essential oils can be grown and extracted that are extremely cost-efficient and produce large amounts of oil that can be sold very cheaply. A few methods are: Using chemical or solvents, diluting the pure essential oil with other oils or synthetic substances to make it go farther, spraying crops with the chemical pesticides to avoid losing parts of the crops to pests and Adding chemical fragrances to make them smell sweet or nice.
The reason we only use Young Living Essential Oils is because they don't use any of these cost-cutting methods. In fact, most of these cost-cutting methods produce very inferior oil that in comparison, are not as potent nor do they have the same amounts of healing compounds.
Why do Young Living oils work so well?
Oils are graded A though D. Oils that are solvent extracted or diluted are your B, C, or D grade oil's. They are OK for fragrances and cosmetics.
If you are looking to use an oil for medicinal benefits (especially if taken internally) you want the A grade oil: pure, unadulterated, 100% essential oil. Young living only sells A grade oils and is the only company in the world to offer a guarantee of certified therapeutic grade oil through their seed to seal process. They are truly unique.
The Seed to Seal Process consists of 5 steps that are all under the control of Young Living staff.
- Seed: first, before a plant or a seed ever put in the ground it is inspected. YL makes sure that before planting, that this seed or plant will yield a therapeutic quality oil and is in the correct species.
- Cultivate: YL owns farms in the US and around the world – Utah, Idaho, France, Oman, Ecuador, and Somalia. This way they can closely monitor the seed to seal process. They are the only oil company producing therapeutic grade oil that on their own farms.
- Distill: YL has created their own proprietary technique of distilling oils from plants by combining both ancient and modern practices. Proper temperature, proper harvest times, and a multitude of factors all play a role in making sure the oil has the highest amount of therapeutic properties.
- Test: YL has set the industry standard for EO testing. Not only do they test each batch to make sure the oil has not been contaminated, adulterated, or diluted, but they test for the amount of bio active healing compounds, no other oil company does that. Because of its high level of testing, YL oils are exclusively used in many hospitals across the US. If a batch of oil does not test to their standards, it will not be sold.
- Seal: YL carries the guarantee for a pure unadulterated oil all the way to the sealing of the bottle.
Just remember that in order to legally call an oil 100% Pure, manufacturers are only required to have 5% essential oil present in the bottle! Cheaper essential oil products will put 5% oil in the bottle and fill the rest with carrier oil. When you consider that it takes 22 pounds of rose petals to make a 5mL bottle of Rose oil, you can start to understand why the real thing costs more.